Date and Time
Thursday Nov 3, 2022
11:00 AM - 6:00 PM CDT
Welcome to Sugar Skull City!
Sugar Skull City is a three-week festive, downtown-wide celebration of Day of the Dead in Aurora, Illinois, from October 15 to November 6, 2022
Join us in celebrating Dia de los Muertos with art, activities, specials, videos, shopping, and much more!
Sugar Skull City ACTIVITIES
- Take a self-guided walking tour of downtown storefronts decorated for Day of the Dead by local artists and downtown staff. We recommend visiting between 11 a.m. and 6 p.m. Wednesday through Saturday to make the most of our dining and shopping opportunities.
- Enjoy specials and menu items at restaurants that honor the Day of the Dead traditions.
- Sugar Skull City Scavenger Hunt: Find as many Pan de Muerto in storefronts as you can from Oct. 15 through Nov. 6 in downtown Aurora. Pan de Muerto is the traditional Day of the Dead bread. There are 14 total locations. Tag the ones you find @downtownaurora on Instagram for weekly giveaways. #sugarskullcity
- Learn how to make DIY sugar skulls and papel picado.
- Shop downtown stores for local artisan Day of the Dead merchandise.
- Stop into Mexican restaurants and bakeries and support Latinx-owned businesses.
- Buy an official Sugar Skull City tote bag. 2022 locations: The Cotton Seed Creative Exchange, Society 57, Wyckwood House, The Cornucopia Shop
- Participate in an ofrenda contest at Santori Public Library of Aurora, 101 S. River St. View ofrendas the first week of November in the library’s atrium.
- Download Day of the Dead coloring pages.
- Enjoy an evening of Day of the Dead celebrations at First Fridays on November 4, 2022.
- Shop a special Sugar Skull City Art and Market Aurora at Society 57 on Saturday, Nov. 5 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
For more information visit auroradowntown.org/sugarskullcity/