The Aurora Civic Center Authority (ACCA), an innovative organization located on Stolp Island in the Fox River in the heart of the richly diverse community of historic Aurora, Illinois (one hour from downtown Chicago), is seeking an Education Associate. ACCA is the parent organization, which also includes a 501(c)3 arm under the name of Paramount Arts Centre, Inc. It operates three performance venues: the 6,000-person RiverEdge Park, the 1,843-seat landmark Paramount Theatre, and the 165-seat, newly renovated Copley Theatre. ACCA produces and presents over 300 performances each year, including star-studded touring productions, a self-produced Broadway Series of musicals and the self-produced Bold Series for an annual audience of 350,000 patrons from over 250 communities. ACCA proudly operates the Paramount School of the Arts in the new John C. Dunham Aurora Arts Center, right next door to Paramount Theatre in downtown Aurora. Paramount Theatre also hosts free community events, $1 Classic Movie Mondays and its opulent interiors provide a spectacular backdrop for private functions such as wedding receptions or corporate galas. Across the street from Paramount Theatre are the gorgeous Meyer Ballrooms, which play host to multiple wedding receptions and rental events throughout the year.
The Aurora Civic Center Authority is committed to being a defining catalyst for personal and community transformation by:
- making the performing arts accessible for every age and socioeconomic background,
- introducing the magic of live theater across generations to encourage expansive imaginations and broad views of people and the world,
- and contributing to the future stability and growth of Aurora’s downtown.
The highest purpose of any theater is to inspire its community toward a more perfect humanity. Such humanity can exist only when every member of the community is included and valued, empowered and heard. To express this truth, ACCA commits its leaders, volunteers, artists and staff to the active, continual and accountable pursuit of the following principles: equity, inclusion and diversity.
ACCA truly believes and lives by its mission statement and its commitment to equity, social justice and inclusion.
DEPARTMENT – Education
DIRECT REPORTING – School Manager
WORKS CLOSELY WITH – School Experience Coordinator, Director of Education and Community Engagement, Education Partnerships Manager
POSITION STATUS & SCHEDULE – Hours vary 16-20 hours a week. A typical work week during our school year (September-May) is Tuesdays and Thursdays from 4-9pm, with the possibility of additional hours on Monday and Wednesday. Possible weekend hours available depending on PSA engagement events. Summer schedule varies from fall with daytime hours June-August. Non-exempt.
COMPENSATION – Hourly position: $16/hour
HIRE DATE – August 2022
POSITION SUMMARY – Do you have a passion for the arts, and are you eager to grow your skills in your field? Are you looking to grow your professional resume? Want to explore the administrative side of what makes a performing arts school run successfully? We are looking for an Education Associate who will help us provide a welcoming, organized and unforgettable customer experience for anyone who enters Paramount School of the Arts. The position also collaborates with members of the Education team for day-to-day operating projects, programs, events, and other office functions. Additionally, this is a fantastic opportunity to gain experience in arts administration for a community-based non-profit. The position requires a highly organized individual with excellent customer service skills and willingness to learn and grow.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES –
Assist the Paramount School of the Arts (PSA) staff in department duties, which may include, but are not limited to:
- Act as the first point of contact for the parents and students interested in classes and activities at Paramount School of the Arts.
- Communicate and collaborate effectively with the School Manager, School Experience Coordinator, other staff, parents, students, volunteers, and other stakeholders.
- Build and maintain relationships with schools, community organizations, volunteers, school personnel, students, caregivers and the greater Aurora community.
- Effectively and accurately use our online CRM (Customer Response Management) System and produce needed reports in a timely fashion.
- Provide excellent customer service to parents and students of the school.
- Represent Paramount School of the Arts through networking, community presentations, and attendance at community functions.
- Monitor children during snack and lunch breaks as needed during summer camps.
- Monitor the hallways, classrooms, and lounges to ensure a safe environment for learning.
- Advocate within the institution for education and engagement activities.
- Follow policies and procedures designed to ensure the safety of children attending any educational activities.
- Ensure that all applicable state and federal guidelines are upheld.
- Perform administrative duties such as database management and creation, general filing, and correspondence.
- Other duties as mutually agreed upon.
In addition to the duties listed above, ACCA expects the following of each employee: adheres to ACCA’s policies and procedures; works in a safe manner; performs duties as workload necessitates; maintains a positive and respectful attitude; communicates regularly with supervisor about department issues; demonstrates efficient time management and prioritizes workload; demonstrates regular and consistent attendance and punctuality; meets productivity standards; participates in ACCA events as needed or required; and completes other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE, SKILLS and ABILITIES
- Customer Service experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Fluency in Spanish language is preferred, but not required
- Experience in the arts or arts education is preferred, but not required
- Intermediate computer skills
- Outlook Express
- Experience with MS Word and Excel
- Social Media Platforms
- Google G Suite
Due to frequent and necessary interaction with members of the general public, performers, fellow employees and other individuals, successful candidates for employment are required to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 before they begin work and will be required to provide proof of vaccination. “Fully vaccinated” as defined by the CDC means that at least 14 days have passed following receipt of the final dose of an FDA authorized Covid-19 vaccine. Additionally, Covid-19 boosters are required for eligible employees.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a cover letter and resume using the online job application at https://paramountaurora.com/opportunities/
Please include three references we may contact with emails and phone numbers.
Or mail/drop off to: Aurora Civic Center Authority, ATTN: Liz Hilsabeck 8 East Galena Blvd., Suite 230, Aurora, IL 60506
ACCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment, and applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, disability status, marital or familial status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. ACCA encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, women, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, veterans, and others who are eager to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.
Position Type: Part Time
Position Location: Aurora