The Aurora Civic Center Authority (ACCA), an innovative organization located on Stolp Island in the Fox River in the heart of historic Aurora, Illinois (one hour from downtown Chicago), is seeking a School Manager. ACCA is the parent organization, which also includes a 501(c)3 arm under the name of Paramount Arts Centre, Inc. It operates three performance venues: the 6,000-person RiverEdge Park, the 1,843-seat landmark Paramount Theatre, and the 165-seat Copley Theatre. ACCA produces and presents over 300 performances each year, including star-studded touring productions and a self-produced Broadway Series of musicals for an annual audience of 350,000 patrons from over 250 communities. ACCA proudly operates the Paramount School of the Arts in the new John C. Dunham Aurora Arts Center, right next door to Paramount Theatre in downtown Aurora, and the company looks forward to producing a new, Bold Series of plays and musicals in the newly renovated Copley Theatre beginning in the 2021-2022 season. Paramount Theatre also hosts free community events, $1 Classic Movie Mondays and its opulent interiors provide a spectacular backdrop for private functions such as wedding receptions or corporate galas. Across the street from Paramount Theatre are the gorgeous Meyer Ballrooms which play host to multiple wedding receptions and rental events throughout the year.
The Aurora Civic Center Authority is committed to being a defining catalyst for personal and community transformation by:
- making the performing arts accessible for every age and socioeconomic background,
- introducing the magic of live theater across generations to encourage expansive imaginations and broad views of people and the world,
- and contributing to the future stability and growth of Aurora’s downtown.
The highest purpose of any theater is to inspire its community toward a more perfect humanity. Such humanity can exist only when every member of the community is included and valued, empowered and heard. To express this truth, ACCA commits its leaders, volunteers, artists and staff to the active, continual and accountable pursuit of the following principles: equity, inclusion and diversity.
ACCA truly believes and lives by its mission statement and its commitment to equity, social justice and inclusion.
DEPARTMENT – Education and Community Engagement
DIRECT REPORTING – Director of Education and Community Engagement
WORKS CLOSELY WITH – Programs Manager and other ACCA Departments
POSITION STATUS & SCHEDULE – Full time exempt; generally, 8-9 hour days Monday-Friday; extended hours during productions and on presented event days some weekends, evenings and holidays.
COMPENSATION – Annual salary with excellent benefits package including health, paid time off, and 401(k); Salary Range $38,000-$45,000.
HIRE DATE – May 1, 2021
POSITION SUMMARY – This position will assist the Director of Education and Community Engagement and other team members in many department and organization-wide responsibilities. The School Manager will be a first point of contact for our Teaching Artists, associates, students, parents, and community members.
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES – The School Manager will be responsible for hiring and training staff which includes Teaching Artists, Teaching Assistants, and Education Associates. The School Manager will assist the Director in creating and presenting training materials, assist with curriculum development and syllabi collection and review from Teaching Artists. The School Manager will also be responsible for observing and evaluating staff and overseeing our student ambassador program.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES –
- Hire and manage Education Associates
- Train Education Associates & Teaching Artists
- Share daily cash/credit reports with Programs Manager, Accounting Department, and Director
- Supervise enrollment
- Handle requests from Accounting Department in collaboration with Director
- Manage parent/student communication
- Manage teacher availability and sub-lists
- Write and edit curriculum
- Develop and maintain staff portal
- Evaluate and track student skills
- Observe and evaluate teachers
- Parent/Student liaison
- Share teaching responsibilities as needed
- Represent PSA at festivals, fairs, First Fridays, and other community events
- Oversee teacher budgets per class/camp and in conjunction with First Impressions/Retention Coordinator order supplies
- Handle parent feedback and questions beyond First Impressions Coordinator/Teaching Artists/Education Associates
- Collaborate with other management team members on marketing materials and content creation
- Manage safety procedures in school in coordination with Director
- Facilitate private lesson scheduling and offerings
- Manage merchandise sales
- Other duties as assigned
As an organization, ACCA is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion. The School Manager will actively be a part of this commitment, to help ACCA consider and implement good practice on equity, diversity and inclusion across all work.
In addition to the duties listed above, ACCA expects the following of each employee: adheres to ACCA’s policies and procedures; works in a safe manner; performs duties as workload necessitates; maintains a positive and respectful attitude; communicates regularly with supervisor about department issues; demonstrates efficient time management and prioritizes workload; demonstrates regular and consistent attendance and punctuality; meets productivity standards; participates in ACCA events as needed or required; and completes other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE, SKILLS and ABILITIES –
- Management and hiring experience
- Customer service experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Fluency in Spanish language is preferred, but not required
- Experience in the arts or arts education is preferred, but not required
- Intermediate computer skills
- Experience with MS Word and Excel
- Adobe Creative Suite (experience helpful, but not necessary)
Please submit a cover letter and resume using the online job application at https://paramountaurora.com/opportunities/ or click on the link below.
APPLY FOR THIS JOB ONLINE
Or mail/drop off to: Aurora Civic Center Authority, ATTN: Jessica Duplessis, 8 East Galena Blvd., Suite 230, Aurora, IL 60506
ACCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment, and applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, disability status, marital or familial status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. ACCA encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, women, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, veterans, and others who are eager to help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.